Thursday, March 22, 2012

Are You A Man Or A Muppet?

I freaking love the Muppets.  Seriously, Walter, from the new movie, reminded me instantly of myself.  I love Gonzo, Mr. Teeth, Kermit, Piggy, even Samuel Eagle and Fozzy Bear.  I love that they’re all uniquely weird characters.  They are each annoying, talented, loving, petty, funny, bold, and insecure.  They’re everyone.  The Muppets have characters of every type.  There is no one who could truly be out of place among these weirdos.  They don’t seem like they should work together, but they’re incredible.
The Muppets make me feel homesick, which should probably frighten me more than it does.  I understand that they’re puppets, but the idea of such diverse and zany characters all coming together for one common purpose makes my heart ache for my true home.  I don’t mean Muppet Studios, I talking about the kingdom of God.
Christians are weird.  Christians are annoying, talented, loving, petty, bold, and insecure.  We are Muppets.  Often we don’t work together or love one another like we should.  The sad reality is that we live in a harsher world than the Muppets do, and I’m thankful that we get more than a thirty minute interval to pull our act together.
One last thing I’ll say I love about the Muppets is that every freaky one of them comes as they are, with all their passions, flaws, and fears out on their sleeves.  When they each do what they love doing they put on a tolerable show.  I want to see that in the church.  So this leads me to ask:  Which Muppet are you?  What is your greatest passion?  What is your biggest flaw?  These things can’t define you; only Christ can, but God made you this way in all of your weird and beautiful glory.  He did it on purpose, and I for one would be thrilled to see an absurd family of Christians loving and laughing and possessing a zest for life comparable to that of Gonzo the Great.

2 comments:

  1. i...i love this. i really and truly do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see the love and faith of Christ lived out in us and through us as the body, that we might represent Christ as His Church was always intended to be: a family.

    It's a conscious decision we make to love another person. It requires that we cease our striving to force one another into boxes and definitions and accept that we are lovely and our perspectives are precious. It requires us to intentionally accept the flaws and perfections in each other as they come, without judgement, and only with solemn wonder. It requires us to be who we are, and only expect that others will be who they really are.

    A good message David. Don't leave it there; continue after it.

    ReplyDelete

Comment! Our discussion is incomplete without your voice. Shout your support, be verbose or dissent from popular opinion. Whatever you do just please be polite. Stay on topic. Also don't feed the trolls. Now write a comment you eloquent thinker you!