Thursday, March 29, 2012

RE: Invictus


Invictus sends chills over my skin.  Some ask, “shouldn’t Jesus be the captain of my soul?”  so for the purposes of enjoying the poem call Jesus an admiral.  Others take offense that the poem appeals to nameless gods.  I submit that a poem does not have to be Christian in order to be true.  I find that Paul agrees (Acts 17:28).

Mastering oneself is not just a poetic virtue.  It is an essential human struggle.  It is also a fruit of the Spirit listed in Galatians 5.  The word Paul uses for self-control is egkrates, a word which here means “to hold oneself in” or “to master self.”  How cool that a fruit of submitting to God’s Spirit is to finally learn to control oneself.  Our natural state is not one of being in control, but one of slavery to impulses and emotions.  Emotions and impulses are fine things to be sure, but I’d rather them be my servants than my masters.

Fair fairing, friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! Our discussion is incomplete without your voice. Shout your support, be verbose or dissent from popular opinion. Whatever you do just please be polite. Stay on topic. Also don't feed the trolls. Now write a comment you eloquent thinker you!