Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The 13th Disciple

Today's thoughts brought to you by my lovely wife Beth.

[Jesus said] ‘You know the commandments...’”
Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.”
Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” ~Mark 10:19-21

I used to be terrified of this passage. I would worry that I hadn’t sold all of my things, and while I’ve never been “rich” by US terms, I’m certainly rich on a global scale.
Then, I went on a retreat where Brian Pruitt was speaking. He talked about this passage as one of his favorites, and he calls it “the thirteenth disciple.” That weekend I learned to love Mark 10. It was in two small words “loved him.” Jesus loved that rich young man, while he was still stuck in pride, clinging to his possessions. He saw that this man wanted to serve God, but he also loved comfort. His money made him feel safe. Jesus wanted to free him from that type of security and give him God’s type of security. Jesus saw faith and potential in that man, and he wanted him to be a part of the amazing new Life he was bringing.
We put blocks up between us and God all the time. Money, work, school, sports, our friends, our family, the list is endless. Jesus wants to free us from the things we use as safety, and let God be our safety. He wants us to be totally free to be his disciples. He loves us too much to watch us be run by what is temporary when something beautiful and eternal is on the horizon.
 
Challenge:
What is Jesus asking you to let go of? Ask him to help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! Our discussion is incomplete without your voice. Shout your support, be verbose or dissent from popular opinion. Whatever you do just please be polite. Stay on topic. Also don't feed the trolls. Now write a comment you eloquent thinker you!