Saturday, May 19, 2012

RE: Psalm 37

I struggle with whether or not to read the news. It is of course best to be as informed as possible so one can make wise decisions, but on the other hand I don't trust the information, almost as a matter of principle. I grew up reading 1984 and Brave New World; I learned psychology, sociology, and statistics in college. As a result I know a lot of compelling reasons to not trust politicians, reporters, first hand accounts, surveys, or even my self. Trusting no one, when I do read the news I'm left with the vague awareness that much in the world is horribly wrong, worse even than I'm being told, and yet I have no idea what to believe when it comes to assigning blame or approaching a solution. If ignorance is bliss, it is also irresponsible, but what can I do to help this world if I cannot know what is true?

I needed this psalm today. I needed to be reminded of what I do know is true: God prevails; love wins. There is incredible evil in the world today; people die of hunger, thirst, and many other preventable causes, and my skin crawls with rage because I don't know what to do about it. I don't know who to punish, and I don't know who to trust to help the poor and afflicted. In this moment of feeling powerless, God speaks through this Psalm:

Photo by Alex Proimos
Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes. Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret —it leads only to evil. For those who are evil will be destroyed, but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land. -Psalm 37:7-9

May you take heart today, whatever your situation is. Hope in the Lord and be renewed because God can and will use you to accomplish his eternal purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! Our discussion is incomplete without your voice. Shout your support, be verbose or dissent from popular opinion. Whatever you do just please be polite. Stay on topic. Also don't feed the trolls. Now write a comment you eloquent thinker you!