Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Jesus Predicts Peter's Betrayal

Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, where are you going?” Jesus answered him, “Where I am going you cannot follow me now, but you will follow afterward.” Peter said to him, “Lord, why can I not follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.” Jesus answered, “Will you lay down your life for me? Truly, truly, I say to you, the rooster will not crow till you have denied me three times.”
-John 13:36-38

I cannot imagine how heartbreaking it is to have your best friend look you in the eyes and say, with absolute certainty, that you will betray him. I'm sure it wasn't a fun conversation for Jesus either, but if you're going to follow Jesus you're going to learn quickly that you're not who you thought you were.

Challenge: What do you pride yourself on? Whether you think of yourself as smart, patient, or strong scripture says that our goodness, our righteousness, is as filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6). Confess your pride to God today, and be refreshed by his forgiveness. He is not surprised when we mess up, and he is not slow to forgive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! Our discussion is incomplete without your voice. Shout your support, be verbose or dissent from popular opinion. Whatever you do just please be polite. Stay on topic. Also don't feed the trolls. Now write a comment you eloquent thinker you!